Friday, November 18, 2011

A Day With the Cheerleaders by Kalkidan Yimer

Cheerleader: Maryum Raheem
Role: Captain, Miss Senior, Vice President of Student Council
Grade: Senior



-What inspires you to be a cheerleader?

     Cheerleading has helped me realize the importance of positive encouragement. I love laughing and have been told by my peers that I am an cheerful person. So what better thing to do than cheerleading? Cheerleading has helped me work on my leadership skills and has given me the tools I need to become successful in life.

-How did you feel about this past season?
      I feel this past season was a season to remember. This season was all about proving the people that were doubting us wrong and we did beyond that. I used to think winning was making it to the championships but we were already winners when we first stepped foot on the field. Of course, I cried a few tears because this loss was unexpected, but I had to understand that in the end there can only be one winner and unfortunately that wasn't us. No matter what happened I always told my team if they put their heart out on the field then I would be proud of them. I love my team and this season has made me proud to be an Orange High School Tornado.


-I know you are a senior and senior year is so stressful so how do you manage
practice, games, school, collage application and interviews?
      Most definitely! I think the key to juggling many school activities at a time is organization. I'm very well organized and I move at my own pace.
I make time for everything so that nothing is neglected.
I have a schedule in my Blackberry for my activites, dates, and other important events.

-How is your relationship with the other team members?

     I am the mother of the group, I feel as though I'm the most well-rounded and I build a bond with everyone so that they can feel comfortable around me. I like that every one of my teammates can trust me and come to me with any problems. I open my heart to every last one of them like they are family. "Treat people how you want to be treated" is a quote I live by. If you treat people with respect, kindness, and care they will treat you the same way and I do just that. My team members are my second family and I would do anything for every last one of them.

-In your opinion which was the best game of the season and why?

      In my opinion the best game of the season was every game because in every game you saw something different. The players learned from the mistakes from the previous games and perfected them in the next games. No game was better than the other and know game was perfect. Every game was very interesting to watch.


-Are you planning to cheer this basketball season. I know you had auditions today how was it?
     Yes and the auditions were nice. I love seeing people coming out.

-Are you guys planning on going into competition?
     Yes we are most definitely. This is the time when we show what we as a squad are capable of. We are more than just cheering for sports.

-Thank you. Good luck!
     You're welcome. Thank you.


Stayed tuned for more news on upcoming competitions!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment